CONSULTATIVE MEETING ABOUT THE WOLF IN GORENJSKA REGION
Due to heavy persecution, the wolf’s distribution declined significantly in Europe in the 18th and 19th centuries. During this period, the species disappeared from the Gorenjska region. At the beginning of the 20th century, the wolf population started to increase again, due to protection and a more positive public attitude, the wolf consequently started to appear in areas where it had not been present for several decades. In the Gorenjska region, wolves were present in 2016-2019 in search of their territory, and in the 2019-2020 season, wolf packs were established in Jelovica and Pokljuka after a long absence of the species. The return of the wolf also brings back the need to know the species and to find ways to live with it.
We are aware that living with the wolf brings many challenges, so as part of the LIFE WOLFALPS EU project, we are organising the first meeting for local people interested in this topic. It will take place in the large lecture room “p 5.1” at the France Prešeren Gymnasium, Kidričeva 65, 4000 Kranj, on Thursday 23 February 2023, starting at 17:30.
Programme of the meeting:
- 17:30 – Welcome to participants
- 17:40 – What does the law say about wolves? (Ministry of Natural Resources and Spatial Planning)
- 18:05 – How the ecology of the wolf affects its abundance and distribution (Hubert Potočnik, UL BF)
- 18:50 – Group discussion
- 19:30 – Refreshments and socializing
For more efficient organisation, please register for the meeting via the online form.
- Mayors and municipal representatives
- Hunters (representatives of hunting families) from the municipalities
- Representatives of the agricultural, forestry and nature conservation sectors
- Members of the Council and the Expert Council of the Public Institute Triglav National Park
- Representatives of schools
- Representatives of local tourist organisations
- Representatives of other local organisations
- Interested general public
We would like to thank the Franceta Prešeren Gymnasium for their support in organising the meeting.
You are cordially invited!